Thursday, May 31, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: Best Remake or Cover Songs

I thought I would jump on the Thursday Thirteen bandwagon, I read some and love what people write especially Ali's at Cheaper Than Therapy, she has a great new list each Thursday and I love to read what she thinks. So I am taking a page from her and trying my own. That way you can get to know me a little better each week.

I thought I would start with something that I've been thinking about for quite a while now, the thirteen best remakes or cover songs. Let me know what you think and let me know what you would add to the list. Also, any ideas for upcoming lists, what do you want to know about me?

Here we go:

1) It's my Life - No Doubt (originally by Talk Talk)



I love this version of It's my Life by No Doubt, I think they cover this song better then the original group Talk Talk.

2) Lady Marmalade - Missy Elliot, Christina, Pink, Mya & Lil Kim
(originally by Labelle)



You cannot deny that this version of Lady Marmalade is powerful, there are some strong voices on this cover and I also think it is better then the original sung by Labelle in the 70s.

3) Barracuda - Gretchen Wilson w/Alice in Chains (originally by Heart)



I cannot believe how much Gretchen Wilson sounds like Ann herself. This cover for the VH1 Rock Honors is a tribute to a great female rock band and Gretchen does it justice. If you watch the clip you see Nancy come on stage and rock out too. WOW!!!

4) Sunday Bloody Sunday - Daughtry (originally by U2)


Nobody sings this song as good as Bono, but I have to say that Chris Daughtry sure comes close. His voice sounds flawless and the band knows how to rock.

Click on the picture, and it will bring you to a Yahoo page, click on Watch now and you should be able to see Daughtry cover U2's Sunday Bloody Sunday (you should not have to sign in).


5) It's a Man's World - Christina Aguilera (originally by James Brown)



At the 2007 Grammy Awards, Christina Aguilera sang a tribute to The Godfather of Soul, James Brown by covering It's a Man's World, and wow the voice on this little woman sure is POWERFUL!! You might not like her, but you can't deny her talent and she brings the essence and soul of James Brown with her for this rendition.

6) Hazy Shade of Winter - The Bangles (originally by Simon & Garfunkel)



This song was covered by The Bangles for the movie Less then Zero a great movie with Robert Downey Jr. (talk about life imitating art). I can't image how Simon & Garfunkel sang this song originally The Bangles sing it perfectly.


7) Personal Jesus - Marilyn Manson (originally by Depeche Mode)



Though Marilyn Manson's version is darker and harder, it definitely is one of my favorite songs that he has covered. I love the tone of this cover and even though some might despise MM he to me is a brilliant man who has figured out a way to market a dark side (though not evil like most think he is), and he is making some serious cash from it all.

8) Walk this Way - Run DMC w/Aerosmith (originally by Aerosmith)



This is not just a cover but a remake as well. I love this version compared to the original one that Aerosmith sang in the 70s. Not only did it revitalize Aerosmith but it brought rap and Run DMC into the mainstream, brings me back old school style.

9) All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (originally by Bob Dylan)



I only recently found out that the version Jimi Hendrix sang was a cover from a Bob Dylan song. Jimi's voice and his guitar playing just mesmerizes the listener. Every good movie about Vietnam has this song in its soundtrack and I don't think it would've been the same if it was Bob Dylan singing it.

10) Signs - Tesla (originally by Five Man Electrical Band)



Rockers Tesla really hit it big with their acoustic cover of the classic Signs, which was an amazing hit for the '90s, considering it was a dirty hippie song. I've heard that Tesla is one of those bands that actually sound better live. My friend has seen them more then once and always says they rock.

11) Killing me Softly - The Fugees (originally by Roberta Flack)



This cover by The Fugees is just so moving, Lauren Hill's voice is beautiful and this song actually holds a special part in my life. The original by Roberta Flack was my mom and dad's wedding song, though the marriage didn't last, The Fugees have made this song last.

12) Rebel Yell - Toby Rand (originally by Billy Idol)



Most of you don't know who Toby Rand is, but if you watched last years, Rockstar: Supernova the search for the new lead singer for the superband Supernova which includes Tommy Lee, Jason Newsted & Gilby Clarke then you would've seen Toby as one of the contestants, he was my favorite even though he didn't win. I just love his cover of Billy Idol's Rebel Yell, though no one can sing it like Billy, Toby sure knows how to bring out his rebel yell.

13) Smokin' in the Boys Room - Motley Crue (originally by Brownsville Station)



How can you not love Motley Crue's cover of this classic song by Brownsville Station. You can't help but just get happy when watching this video (at least I do) The Crue back when they wore more makeup then women did. Gotta love them. One of the best concerts I've ever seen was Motley Crue.

So that's my list, what do you think?



4 Comments:

Misa Gracie said...

hmmm.. must copy..ehem... follow your example and do my own thirteen of something.. but what? I'll have to ponder it.

Great job though!!

Anonymous said...

good thing one of us did a thursday thirteen this week...ha!

OhTheJoys said...

I am so square. I know almost none of these.

Meg said...

i know it's not thursday anymore.... but i'm gonna add to your list anyhoo. Lumidee did a remake of Patrick Swayze's "She's Like the Wind" and it's awesome. if you haven't listened to it you should. :o)