Wednesday, May 2, 2007

This was then and this in now


Wow, how they grow and change. This picture was taken in the summer of 1993. I was 18 and had just graduated high school. The family went to Greece for the summer and the kids were, (from top to bottom) Yianni age 2 1/2, Zoe age 5 1/2, Vasilis age 9-10 months. I love this picture, look at the curls on Yianni, poor kid was always mistaken for a girl when he was younger, but his mother just couldn't bare to let him cut those curls out, and he was so blond. Zoe, that look with the crinkled eyebrows, she was famous for doing that, that was her thing. Oh Vasilis he looks just like our grandmother, no teeth and all.

That was a good trip once we got there, but oh getting there was fun (insert lots of sarcasm). First Jayne my step mother did not fly over with us, so it was us kids and my father, she fortunately did come over about a week or so later. Let's just say I watched those kids more on the flight over and when we landed then he did. I remember having a kids leashes on them so I wouldn't lose them at the Greek airport, because that airport back then was a mad house. Hell I remember when I was young, you would go to through the airport and they didn't have metal detectors or security like they do now. You went into a little curtained off section (kind of like when you are in the ER and they have those curtains to section off from each bed), women on one side, men on the other and the armed security guards would pat you down and look through your stuff it's no wonder back in the 80s all the plane hijackings started in Greece.

Anyway, it was a rough trip but a great vacation. Good memories and great fun. The kids probably don't remember that trip like I do, and that's okay, Yianni and Vasilis would spend all day trying to catch locus bugs and then hold them so they could buzz in their hands, (it tickled). Zoe would just love the water and was always trying to swim and sometimes would forget she didn't know how to all that great, so we were constantly trying to make sure the kid didn't drown. I had so much fun, not just with the family but with all the people there, Greece is a great country where the people are so nice and the guys aren't too bad looking either.

But how they grow.



This picture was taken in the summer of 2006 at Zoe's high school graduation. (from left to right) Yianni age 15, Zoe age 18 & Vasilis age 13. No more curls and no more locus bugs, but they sure bring me lots of smiles and new memories. The memories I have now are of Zoe getting into college, and Yianni getting his permit, and Vasilis being an amazing artist. Next it will be Zoe's 21st birthday (Vegas baby) and Yianni's graduation from high school and Vasilis getting his permit/license. Oh how they grow up so fast, I don't know how you parents do it, these are my siblings and I get all sappy I can't imagine what it is like to watch your kids grow into young adults who don't need you anymore. They don't need you to wipe their noses or kiss their boo boos, but my sister and brothers know that I will always be there for them, that no matter what they do or where they go I am a constant, even if they don't want me to be... I love you guys and am very proud of all of you.

0 Comments: