Tuesday, May 8, 2007

A Friendship Rekindled


Last night I called my friend Jenn who I hadn't spoken to in over 10 years. It wasn't awkward, we didn't feel like we had to look for things to say. It felt like we never stopped talking, it was great, we spoke for about a 1 1/2 hours.

Jenn and I didn't stop talking because of a fight, or some misunderstanding, we just sort of lost touch. I moved back to the Northeast, and though we tried to stay in touch, life happens. But after last night I swore that would never happen again.

So much has happened these last 10 years, Jenn got married to Scott in 1996 or 1997 but unfortunately he passed away last October, and I am so very sad for her and for me not being there for her, when she probably needed me most. I remember Scott well, how they met and how much she cared for him, right from the beginning.

Scott had been sick as a child, fighting off a rare type of cancer that he was 1 of only a few that beat it more then once, Scott was a fighter even from a young age. Because he had this disease as a child it stunt his growth and he always looked much younger then he really was. Jenn, always loved younger guys, and she loved Scott, pretty much right from the beginning, I remember her telling me how much she liked him and how much she wanted to be a part of his life. They had their first kiss on July 4th in 1994, and the rest is history. They started to date and we used to pick on her because he was 5 years younger then her, and if I remember correctly he was barely "legal", there was an Offsprings song called, Keep'Em Separated which we used to say to them because she was older then he was.

I guess about a year and a half ago, Scott started to get sick, he lost a lot of weight and just never felt right, he was in and out of hospitals but no one really could give them a definitive answer as to what it was. Unfortunately in October of 2006 Scott lost his battle with the no name disease that was taking over his body. Jenn was the one to find him and she and her father tried everything to save him, but Scott's body just couldn't take the disease anymore. He is now in a better place looking down at Jennifer, and I know my friend is having a very hard time with his death, they were partners, lovers, friends and soul mates. I cannot imagine the pain she is feeling, but I also know she is a strong woman and though will never get over his loss she will also not let it beat her down. I am here again for her, like she was for me when we were younger.

We talked for so long last night and I tell you it didn't feel like it had been 10 years it felt like it was last week, we laughed, we cried, we shared, but most of all we rekindled our friendship which really never disappeared, we thought about each other often and always wondered where the other was and how could we could find each other. She sounded exactly the same, if she had called me and I didn't know it was her, after about 3 words I would've said, NO way this is Jennifer N..., because that voice brought me back to a different time, she said the same about me, and I saw a picture of her now on the web and she looks exactly the same.

We still have so much to catch up on, but I am just thankful that I have a second chance with a friend I missed so much.

2 Comments:

Cairde said...

That is so sad about your friend's husband. I can't imagine how she must feel. Humans need answers, so not knowing what took his life....I would be out of my mind with "WHY WHY WHY". You were meant to come back to her now, we would be lost without good friends.

Alexander said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.