Monday, May 7, 2007

Friends Come and Go but sometimes they Come Back

It has been an interesting couple of weeks. Last week I received an email from a friend that I haven't spoken to in I'd say about 6 years, before that it was probably another 7-8 years, basically since I graduated highschool.

Once I left AZ I didn't look back, other then visiting my mother and my best friend Melissa I didn't keep in touch with anyone from highschool. It wasn't because I didn't want to, life happens and I got the hell out of Phoenix as quickly as I could. Some bad things happened right before I left (actually why I left) and I pretty much disappeared for a little while. Only a select few knew where I was going. It wasn't too hard to figure out, but I did not leave any forwarding address and told everyone that did know not to give it out.

I thank god every day though that I never lost touch with Melissa, I don't think I'd be the person I am today (good or bad) if she had not been there for some major milestones, or to just kick me in the ass and say Wake UP!!! this isn't you.

But I missed some really great people in the process of cutting ties from Phoenix, and I regretted that, but that seems to be changing.

Last week I received an email from my friend Kim who actually lived with me the last few months of our senior year because her living situation wasn't very stable and my mother being the awesome person she is, opened our home to Kim and invited her to stay with us. Actually my mother took Kim to ASU on her first day and got her settled into the dorms. Way to go Mom. Well, Kim just had her second child and she sent me pictures. I hadn't spoken to Kim for a long time and then one day about 6-7 years ago I get an email from her on classmates.com I was so happy and we got to talk again, but then I moved to FL and she moved from NJ (where she had moved after college) and we lost touch again. But fortunately not too long ago I found her email and I emailed her. Now every so often I get an email and the one I got last week, was to announce and show pictures of her second child a daughter. I realized it has been about 4-5 years since we last talked and I don't want that to happen again. So this time I'm going to stay in touch with Kim. Congratulations to you and your family.

Then there was Jennifer, Jenn was a girl I met during my freshman year but we didn't become friends really until my sophomore year. She had already graduated, the year between Freshman and Sophomore year. We hung out all the time and went to a ton of concerts and met bands together. It was a great time, the first time I ever got drunk was with Jenn, I was 19 and she was 22 and she bought the booze, Wild Berry Punch to be exact. WBP is a 2 liter bottle of what tastes like Fruit Punch and I pretty much drank the whole thing, very quickly. All I remember from that night was telling everyone I loved them, how I liked being naked and everyone should be naked (no I didn't not get naked though) and kept saying that I was SOOO DRUUUUUNK!!!

And then on the way home I made her pullover and threw up all of the Wild Berry Punch I consumed, but as I was heaving out her car door, I kept saying, I'm (puke) not (heave) getting (gag) it on (puke) your (heave) car. I might've been drunk but I still had manners. And Jenn the good friend that she was, just rubbed my back and made sure that my hair didn't get in the vomit. Well I haven't talked to Jenn in about 11 years, since a wedding I went to in AZ. I was always upset with myself for not trying harder to stay in touch with her, and the only excuse I have is that sometimes, it just happens, but guess who I got an email today from, none other then my friend Jennifer!

She also found me on classmates.com and emailed me, I was/am so excited to catch up with her. Come to find out she has been searching for me and Melissa on and off for years what's funny is I had wondered and searched myself for her. Well she found me, and Melissa, I am going to call her tonight and catch up with her. I will let you know how it goes. I am so thrilled I feel like a teenager again. I can't believe that I knew her when I was a teenager and now I'm in my 30s. Gosh life does happen and it happens quick. I think I'm going to try to find some others from high school I didn't go to my high school reunion because I really had no desire to go back to Phoenix, and I'm okay with missing my 10 year, but I think when my 20 year comes up which really isn't that far away since next year is already 15 years UGH, I might just go back.

1 Comment:

Cairde said...

That's great you got back in touch with old friends. I am so very bad at keeping in touch with people. Life just doesn't seem to allow the time, and before you know it, years have gone by. Good for you though, I think after reading that, I have some emails to send. :-)