Thursday, May 17, 2007

Trip to Mystic Day 2

On Saturday we woke up pretty early but stayed in the hotel and just relaxed for a bit, since neither one of us wanted to really get up yet. My mom has this crazy habit of getting up way too early, and of course once I'm up I don't go back to sleep.

We decide to go to the Mystic Seaport Museum of America and the Sea which is a recreated seaport village from the 1800s. It was a really cool place to go see, to explore and learn how things were done back then. There were all kinds of spots in the village that you could see into the past. Like how to make hemp into rope.


First they spin the hemp in a spinning wheel to separate all the threads


Then they put the separated strands onto big spools and run each spool through one hole to start to twist it together



The now thicker strands are twisted and are laid out through a machine that will start to twist all of those together (not a machine really it was all done by hand machines and cranking and twisting yourself).


Now we start to see the rope starting to form.


The finished product, tight, thick rope that can be used to tie a ship at the dock, or to use with the anchor.

Now I'm sure that I missed a step or I said something wrong in my directions, I am trying to remember this from the quick tour we got, so if anyone sees a mistake in my process, I apologize. But you get the idea.

4 of the Tall ships that tour the world are stored here, it was pretty neat to see them up close with no lines and be able to go aboard.



Mom had an absolute blast roaming these ships, she went down into the bunkers and just loved them. She loves ships, lighthouses and anything to do with the sea. The smells, the sights all of it. Isn't she cute?


This is a replica of the ship "The Amistad" there is an organization regarding this ship.

We toured the whole village and took in all the sights, learned a lot about what it was like to live and work in a village like this in the 19th century. If you ever get down to Mystic you should most definitely check this place out. It gives you a little history of what America was like back then. We went the perfect weekend, before the season hit so we didn't have to wait too long for anything.

After we left the village, we decided to drive around and see other parts of Mystic and the surrounding area, we stopped by a Glass Blowing Factory, that was pretty amazing to see. I just love to watch this kind of art. The two guys that own/run the place were so helpful in discussing the steps for glass blowing.


This is a picture of an art piece made at the studio, it was from floor to ceiling and it was amazing.

Though the place and the art were beautiful it was no where affordable for us. The glass they made is all one of a kind or to order. The studio name is Prescient Studios they have a website I linked if you are interested in ordering or checking them out. I love this picture, it is of many balls of colorful glass hanging from fishing line up against a wall, if I had a big house and a fancy room I would have something like this



After that we drove to a lighthouse so my mom could take pictures of it, and climb, she really is like a kid in a candy store when it comes to lighthouses.

We finished the afternoon with my mom going shopping and I going back to the room and for a little nap, lazy days are good. We finished the evening with dinner at another great restaurant outside of Mystic and called it a night. Another great day sightseeing through and around Mystic.

To see more pictures of our trip you can go to my flickr page
I won't lie I was too lazy to link each of these photos back to flickr this time, maybe later.

0 Comments: