Thursday, June 14, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: Best Stand Up Comedians

Warning: Contains Adult Content (lots of swearing on the videos) might NBSW!!

Hello everyone, here is another round of Thursday Thirteen, this week I was having trouble thinking up a good list. Then last night Last Comic Standing was on and I thought there you go, that is what your list should be. I absolutely love comedy and wish I could get to see more comics live.

Luckily I am going to The Opie & Anthony Traveling Virus which is a comedy show with quite a few stand up comics. So in honor of that show and since we always need a little laughter, here are some of the comics that I would love to see live.

1) Ralphie May


I first saw Ralphie May on the first season of Last Comics Standing, personally I think he should have one. He is hysterical and he has no problem talking about and making fun out of anybody, regardless of race, sex, or religion. Though some might be offended (which just means you have a stick up your butt) but the things he says, you can't deny aren't true. I hope I get to see him live.

2) Eddie Izzard

Eddie Izzard, I just love him, not many cross dressing comics out there and with his British accent you can't help but love him. First time I saw him, (again not live) was when I was going through treatment for cancer and met this guy Steve and when we went back to his house (to chat people plus Melissa was there with me) Eddie Izzard was on TV. We were rolling on the floor laughing, and now he's on the new show The Riches on FX.


3) Wanda Sykes

A quick-witted comedien who has transcended the comedy scene to become one of the funniest comics to hit the stage in some time, Wanda Sykes' unique blend of stinging humor and outspoken honesty has found her moving beyond a career in standup thanks to notable success in film and television. I am glad that she is a regular on The New Adventures of Old Christine, she brings it all together on that show.

4)Margaret Cho


Margaret Cho is one of the more visible Asian-American women of her time. Although probably best remembered for her short-running sitcom All-American Girl, Korean-American comedienne Margaret Cho has come a long way since then. Margaret Cho is a living example of what can happen to you when you become a poster child for someone else's idea of political correctness. I was sad when they cancelled her show All-American Girl and it was so disturbing to find out that they forced her to lose a lot of weight when she really didn't neeed to, (this is what is wrong with this country). But I love that she turned it all around in her favor and jokes about it now oh and when she talks about her family especially her mother it is hysterical.

5) Carlos Mencia


I know a lot of people out there (mostly other comics) talk about how Carlos Mencia steals jokes from other comics, whether that is true or not I don't know. But every time I watch Mind of Mencia on Comedy Central I laugh, every time I watch him on TV doing standup I laugh. He will be at the O&A show next month and I'll let you know how he was.

6) Rodney Carrington

I used to watch his show and was sad when it got cancelled but his stand up is great, he sings parody songs in his act that are funny but one of my favorite bits he's ever done is when he's talking about a man getting ready to go in the shower and he swings his hips and says helicopter helicopter. OMG I laugh every time.

7) Jim Norton

I listen to Jimmy Norton on the O&A radio show every morning, some of the things that he says just make me laugh, the three of them on that show each morning make my drive into work a little bit easier. Jim used to also be on Colin Quinn's Tough Crowd on Comedy Central and he always had an interesting point of view.

8) Kathy Griffin

Okay Kathy Griffin has come a long way since the first time I saw her many many years ago. It was with a guy I was dating and I have to say I wasn't impressed, but since then she has really found her nitch. Trash talking celebrities she has encountered or she has heard something about. I think she is quite a funny and talented woman and enjoy watching her show My Life on the D List on Bravo. If she ever came back this way I would most definitely go see her show again.

9) Eddie Murphy

Now here's the thing with Eddie Murphy, back in the day when he used to still do stand up he was the man, he was funny. Now he's just weird, what's up with all these movies where he plays all the characters and wears a fat suit. I miss the old Eddie, Beverly Hills Cop and 48 hours Eddie. Some of his best stand up is from his album Raw. "It's my house and if you don't like it you can get the fuck out" quoting Eddie as his father.

10) George Lopez

George Lopez started as a stand up and never thought he'd get his own sitcom well one night Sandra Bullock watched his comedy show and said that she wanted to produce a sitcom for him, from that was born The George Lopez Show, he took from his own life growing up and made it funny. Another funny show that has been cancelled, (I'm starting to see a pattern here).

11) Colin Quinn

Colin Quinn I remember when he was on Remote Control on MTV, one of their first game shows back when they still played actual music videos. Man did I want to be on that show and I think I would've rocked too. Then he went on to do other stuff and got his own talk show on Comedy Central called Tough Crowd talking about the issues and things going on but with some comedy flavor mixed in.

12) Robin Williams

You can't deny that his stand up is rip roaring funny. The voices, the impressions, the energy. Not much else you have to say, Melissa and I still quote Live at the Met and we still laugh.


13) Bill Engvall

I have saved my favorite for last, by far Bill Engval is one of my all time favorite stand up comics and I am very excited to say that he is going to have his own show coming on TBS premiering July 17th (and no I was not paid to write that). I saw Bill Engvall live little over a year ago in Florida for a charity event. I have to say that when we left the venue my friend Nancy and I were still laughing, our cheeks were sore and our eyes were watering from laughing so hard. I hope he comes here soon and I get to see him again. He is the man that is responsible for the phrase, "Here's your sign" people that say or do stupid things should wear a sign that says, Hey I'm Stupid!!! We've all seen it, said it or done it.

Well that's my list of thirteen great comics, I know I know I have left a ton of them out including, Richard Pryor, Larry the Cable Guy, Steven Martin (when he still did stand up) and so many more, big names and small names, but I can't name them all. Please add to the list, tell me who you've seen, who you love or disagree with.

Hope you got a good laugh from my clips.


4 Comments:

Misa Gracie said...

I'd swap Kathy Griffin for Frank Caliendo (www.frankcaliendo.com) any day...

Other than that - I am in total agreement!

Jenny said...

Ralphie May slays me! He is way too funny!! Great list...love the videos!

Anonymous said...

no sarah silverman?

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about Robin Williams and Margaret Cho but I'm afraid I can't abide Wanda Sykes. I can remember seeing Steve Martin long ago when he was still doing stand-up and I laughed so much that it hurt!