Thursday, June 21, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: 13 Places I Want to Visit

Today's Thursday Thirteen was inspired by a new friend Stephen who has travelled like I have and has been to some great places. We were talking about places we've been and places we would like to see. This weeks list is dedicated to the 13 places that I want to visit sometime hopefully in the near future, needless to say this is not ALL the places I want to visit just the 13 I thought you would like to know about.

Let's get started in no particular order

1) Wailua Falls, Kauai, Hawaii

This majestic, 80-foot tiered waterfall is located close to the roadside lookout for everyone to enjoy. The falls can dramatically change appearance depending on rain and the river's flow. The best time to view this spectacular site is early morning as the sun shines on the falls. The brave and sure-footed can can take a slippery trail down to the bottom of the falls and take a dip in the cool, mountain water.

I love waterfalls the roar of them is powerful yet they are so serene and calming. I want to swim in the pool below and feel the falls on me.

2) Tibet & Nepal

I have always wanted to go to Tibet and to Nepal on a spiritual retreat and to visit the monasteries. I think the Buddhist way is fascinating and I hope to someday visit these two places, to learn from the monks. I hope the next time the Dali Lama is speaking I can get a chance to hear him.


I hear he has such a calming affect on people and I could really use some of that right now. To be that close to Mt Everest is pretty cool too, no I do not want to climb that. No thank you I read the book Everest and that was enough.



3) Goa, India

Goa, the emerald land on the shore of Arabian Sea with extended pristine beaches is an amazing place to relax, and they are known for their parties on the beaches. I had an opportunity to go there once with a friend who was going to DJ a party there. Due to circumstances I was not able to make it, but I plan on getting there someday. On the coast of India and on the Arabian Sea Goa holds some of the most beautiful beaches of India.

4) Prague, Czech Republic

When I went backpacking through Europe we wanted to stop in Prague but did not have enough time, we had to get to Rome to meet Tim's sister. Unfortunately I have not been able to get there yet but I will. Prague is considered to be one of the most beautiful cities in Europe and is one of the most visited too. It suffered the least amount of damage from WWII so the original architecture is still intact and to see some of these buildings stand the test of time will be thrilling.

5) Amazon Rainforest & River

There is nothing like the natural beauty of the Amazon Rainforest. There is so much we still don't know about this region and it is being destroyed, there has to be a way to make "people" understand that we need to save this area. This has always been a dream of mine, we'll see if I ever get there, I've heard they have bugs the size of basketballs, um yeah no thanks, see snakes and lizards and all that doesn't bother me, but huge bugs that freaks me out. I can deal with spiders but other creepy crawly creatures, ACK!!!


6)Great Barrier Reef

The Great Barrier Reef in Australia is the world's largest coral reef system, composed of roughly 3,000 individual reefs and 900 islands that stretch for 2,600 kilometres and cover an area of approximately 344,400 square kilometres. The Great Barrier Reef can be seen from outer space and is the world's biggest single structure made by living organisms. I had a friend who spent a sometime in Australia going to school there. She has told me how beautiful it is there and I want to visit Australia and if I ever do get there no matter what else happens I will visit The Great Barrier Reef, it will be an amazing site to see.

7) Singapore

There has always been such a fascination with Singapore for me. It is a beautiful city and one of the cleanest I've heard (in respects to trash and debris not pollution). Someone told me that gum is illegal there and there is a sign in the airport that says if you bring drugs here you will be executed, now I don't know if that is true but it sounds good. There is so much to see and experience there, like the Singapore Zoo and Macritchie Reservoir, and all the islets that make up this island.

8) Egyptian Pyramids

The ancient Egyptian Pyramids are a true architectural marvel. The way they were built and how they are structurally intact is amazing. I've heard that how tall the pyramid is, is how deep it goes, now I don't know if this is true but if I ever get there I'll let you know.


9) Machu Picchu, Peru

Machu Picchu is a mysterious place built in a staggering landscape for reasons forgotten with the passing of the Inca empire. It is believed to have been constructed by the great ruler Pachacutec around the middle of the 15th century.To see a place like this that holds no written record and to speculate how and why this was built is just a wonderful mystery to explore.

10) St. Petersburg & Red Square, Russia

St. Petersburg is very close to Finland where my mom is from so this one might be an actual possibility next time I go to Finland. I know my mom has no desire to go there, because Finland used to be under Russia's rule before WWII. But I just think the history that is here would be something to explore.

St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow's Red Square is just one of the most colorful and beautiful cathedrals I have ever seen of course I've only seen pictures but look at the detail of this building WOW. The cathedral is a memorial to the Russian conquest of Kazan in 1552. Moscow is now for the 2nd year in a row the most expensive city to live in, with a luxury 2-bedroom apartment going for roughly $4000.00 a month. Nevertheless I want to visit St. Petersburg & Moscow and see all there is to offer.

11) Sicily

I won't lie I have always wanted to go to Sicily to go to the place that Cosa Nostra was born the home of the Mafia. I know, what is wrong with me, but I have this absolute fascination with the Mafia, I don't condone what they did, but the history, the culture the codes they used to abide by, is just remarkable. I have read many books, watched documentaries, movies and interviews about this organization. But that is not the only reason I want to go to Sicily, surrounded by the Mediterranean and Tyrrhenian Sea the water is crystal blue and absolutely stunning. I want to see everything that Sicily has to offer, food, wine, culture and their history.


12) African Safari

My whole life I have always wanted to go on an African Safari, either in Kenya, Zimbabwe or anywhere else that will allow me. To see nature in its purest form with animals roaming wild and tribes of nomads searching the land is just something I want to experience. It makes me sad to think of all the atrocities going on in parts (most parts) of Africa. I would love to go to a place like Kenya and help build homes (a friend of mine did that) and meet the men, women and children who are from there, to learn about their culture and traditions would be an honor.

13) Dubai, UAE

Dubai is one of the most architectural modern city in the world, the structures that they are building and have built are just incredible, from the Burj Al Arab considered to be the world's best hotel, it is built to look like a sail, which also has an underwater themed restaurant. They have man made islands to look like palm trees and the world. Oh and did I forget to mention the indoor ski slope they have since they don't get snow there. This place is just amazing. This one is going to take a lot of savings before I can get there, but when I do what a site it will be.

So there you have it, I tell you after doing this weeks Thursday 13 I'm realizing I desperately need a vacation. I've tried to add a links list on the bottom of this let's see if it works.



17 Comments:

Lori said...

What an awesome list!!

Anonymous said...

Definately suggest you hitup praha! One of the most amazing places you'll ever visit. Friendly locals and very strong absinthe plus a non-stop club scene :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful list! Can I come with you?

Happy TT!

Kris said...

I want to go with you!!

Anonymous said...

I love that you paired a picture with every location!

Happy TT!

Tilly Greene said...

I recently heard China is building a road up Mount Everest to help the 2008 Olympic flame make it up there...I am so hoping there won't be an influx of bumper stickers saying they've made this drive.

All of these look fabulous...Goa is wonderful, except that is where I broke my hand and missed a trip to the Czech Republic...weird :-)

OhTheJoys said...

Great list! I've been to 3 or 4 of yours I think -- Nepal, Machu Pichu, Safari and Goa!

Daisy said...

I hope you get to go to all of those places!

Carina said...

I'd go with you for most of those, but not the cities. Gak! Hate Cities!

Robin said...

I've been to Prague and the Pyramids, but the rest of those are definitely on my someday list... My all-time best-ever trip though, hands-down, was Thailand.

I did a TT a while back on 13 European countries I'd been to - http://aroundtheisland.blogspot.com/2007/03/thursday-thirteen-5-back-again.html.

Karina said...

Great list...I'd love to see most of those places too! I have a few others I could add to that list as well...it's true that once the travel bug bites you, you are a traveller for life!

Thanks for stopping by my TT!

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Great list.

Thanks for visiting my TT.

Meg said...

i'm lame cuz i cant even make up a list of all the places i want to go. heck, i'm still excited i got to go to italy. lol. awesome list though!!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Gorgeous pictures and cool explanations. If you ever need a travel partner, give me a holler! I'd love to see each and every last one of these places at least once.

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

Very cool list & wonderful photos :) Happy TT!

Amy Ruttan said...

Great list, Tibet, Nepal India and Russia are on the top of my list too!

Jenny said...

I would love to visit the Great Barrier Reef and Moscow...of course, any of those destinations would be wonderful!