Friday, June 15, 2007

Friday Picture Day: Getting Plates Smashed on my Head

Sometimes I sit here in front of my computer trying to think of things to write about and sometimes nothing comes to mind. So I started thinking about my adventures, and stories from my past, oooh and what a past I have scandalous... I'm just kidding, though I have to say I do have some fun, weird, strange and interesting things happen throughout my 32 years of life, and I have millions (okay thousands) of pictures detailing these times. So I have come up with a new fun way for me to share with you some of these stories. We'll call it Friday Picture Day.

What I will do is show you a picture, this picture can be anything, from my family, my friends, myself, ex-boyfriends, ex-friends, places I've been, places I would like to go. Maybe it will be a picture that I saw in a magazine or in the newspaper, and then I will write about that picture. Tell you the story behind it, or how that picture made me feel when I saw it. I am a very visual person, and I truly believe the saying a picture says a thousand words. Let's see how this works out, we'll start with a picture of me taken when I was backing packing through Europe in 1996 (I can't believe it has been 11 years).



I don't know if you can tell, but that is me getting a plate(s) smashed on my head, yes folks I was drunk very drunk. I guess we should go back a bit, a friend (Tim) and I went backpacking through Europe in May-June of 1996 for 5 weeks, we started in London and worked our way down to Greece. We made it to the island of Corfu in Greece and to a place called the Pink Palace (which by the way was on the E Channel's Wild On, yes I went to a place that was featured on Wild On oh and I went before they featured it, I won't lie it so made me feel like I was in the know). Anyway, we get there on a Friday night and they tell us that tonight is Toga night oh wait I forgot to mention that the reason this place was called the Pink Palace was because everything in that place was completely PINK I'm talking Pepto Bismol pink. The walls, the togas, hell even the Ouzo was dyed pink.

We get settled into our room and we go check out the place, the way I would describe this place (other then the color of PINK PINK and more PINK) was it was summer camp promoting alcoholism. OMG they had enough booze going around to even get Lindsay Lohan to say No MORE! But it was a fun place and I met some really cool people. We drink, we swim in the sea (which by the way is so beautiful in Greece it is warm and clear and NO SHARKS), we dance, we eat, we laugh, we meet new people. Then we get ready for the Toga party "Toga Toga Toga" They give us these thin pieces of material (you guessed it) died Pink. I wrap mine around me but realize oh this is not going to cover much so I throw on my bikini underneath (this was back when I could still wear one), and Tim if I remember correctly might've gone commando (actually a LOT of the guys went commando that night and they liked showing us girls).

We go into the big dining hall which also serves as the bar, and dance floor, they set us up in a large circle and they put on a great show of Greek dancing and the owner did this really neat trick where he stacks chairs on a table and puts a bottle or something on top and then picks it all up just using his teeth, NO HANDS!! That was pretty impressive. Then he goes around and starts smashing a plate on peoples head, just one plate (they are the kind of plates that break easy, it doesn't hurt per say but you feel it if you aren't numb from all the alcohol). So he comes by me, and I say, "Hey I love this place and oh by the way I'm Greek." Well at this point (me not knowing) he is looking for someone to take in the middle of the circle and some people who have been there for a while or had been there before go, watch what happens and I'm all "huh, what..." with a goofy smile on my face, completely oblivious as to what is about to happen.

The owner then chooses ME, to go in the middle of the circle and he says to me, "You might be Greek, but you have never done this before," and proceeds to take off my glasses and gives them to my friend, who also has the camera, and then they start feeding me shot after shot after shot (you get the idea) of Pink Ouzo. I finally say, that's enough, or rather I slur it... I couldn't even feel my lips anymore. Then they tell me to sit straight with my head looking forward. Yeah like I was going to be able to stay like that for long. Then all of a sudden I feel something on my head, Boom, Crash, and then there are plate pieces all over me. I think oh that wasn't too bad thinking it was only one plate (he hadn't smashed one yet on my head when he was going around before). I laugh, I get up, stumble and go back to my friend and the new friends. They all ask, "How do you feel?"

"Fine, why, that wasn't too bad." I say all wobbly.

"Um well you do know you just got about 12 plates smashed on your head at once?"

"WHAT!!!!?" I say, a little more alert and sober now. "What do you mean 12 plates, I thought that was 1 plate?"

"Uh.. no, that was about 12."

"Holy shit, 12? Well I didn't realize, OMG 12?"

Yes ladies and gents I had 12 plates smashed on my head and took it no problem, didn't even flinch. I have to say the Ouzo did help HA HA! The rest of the night was a blast, and the cute guy who I met in Budapest a week before was there too and we hung out on the beach that night, wait isn't there a drink called...

I'll leave the rest up to your imaginations...

That was a great trip and I have tons more pictures, maybe I'll write about my whole trip in a series called My Trip to Europe I'll have to get out my journals from that time, no blogging back in 1996.

Great trip, great pictures, great memories

2 Comments:

Cairde said...

I want to know what happened on the beach! LOL. Sounds like a fun time, good for you for taking the plates in stride. :)

Anonymous said...

trips like that are always the best.