Sunday, June 10, 2007

Joel



I met him Friday night at my restaurant, he came in alone and I could tell that he was probably staying at the hotel next door. I have a pretty good sense of these things, being that most of our customers are regulars. Well, I sit him at a table near the bar, where you have a pretty good view of everything. Oh by the way did I mention he was HOT (the picture doesn't do him justice).

So, I'm sitting people and talking to regulars, laughing and overall having a pretty good night, but every so often I get this feeling that someone is looking at me, and I realize it is this guy. So I go up to him and say, "You look sad, or bored, what's up?"

"Oh, I'm just here for business, I leave tomorrow at 6am."

"6am, damn that's early, did you get a chance to see any of this city?"

"No, just the hotel basically."

"Well, you have until 6am that's plenty of time to see all there is to offer." I joked.

I ask him his name and introduce myself, and we talked for a bit more, but then I had to get back to work up front, and he was going to get going.

"You're leaving?" I asked

"Yeah I should get going."

"Well, if you ever come back I'd be more then happy to show you around."

"Cool."

"I'll give you my email address."

"Why don't you give me your number and maybe we can hang out later."

I was shocked, but in a good way. "Uh-uh okay but I don't get off work until 11pm or so." I say nervously.

"That's okay." he replies with a sheepish smile (what a cute smile and gorgeous eyes).

I give him my cell number and he says he'll text me later, and figure something out.

A couple hours later he text messaged me, "Hey Hey...this is Joel from Vancouver:) It was really nice to meet you this evening...you're very sweet...and you're also very beautiful. I'll call you at a little after 11, and we'll see if there's something fun we can do tonight:) talk to you soon..."

I reply, "Aw you making me blush thank you, sounds like a plan."

He replies (with what I have to say is the best text I've gotten in a long time.}
"Keep blushing, because you're HOT!!! I'm excited to hang out with you:) Really excited."

Now I'm all giddy, I won't lie, I felt like a teenager again. It has been so long, since a guy who wasn't 50, married, and drunk hitting on me. This guy is cute, young and single (at least that's what he said.)

We text message back and forth for awhile and I just get more and more excited, but really nervous too. I talk to my friend & coworker Ronnie and ask her what should we do. She tells me about this bar that she goes to after work around the corner and since she was going to be cut soon, she would be over there. I felt that was a good place to go, 1) because it was close by and 2)there was going to be someone there that I knew just in case. I don't know this guy he could be a psycho (a cute psycho but still a psycho).

The rest of the night went by really slow at work, and I finally asked the manager if I could possibly leave early, he asked how early and I said about 10:30pm because I had a date and it's been so long since I've had a date. He is a pretty cool guy and I always work really hard, and pick up shifts that he let me leave a little early. I was (am) really appreciative.

I text Joel and tell him that I'm all set. I call Ronnie and tell her that we'll be there in about 10 minutes. Joel drives to the restaurant, and he follows me to the bar around the corner. This bar was a little hole in the wall, but it worked for us

We talked and got to know each other, Joel was here because he sells different kind of machinery to places like Home Depot, BJs and Cosco, but what he really wants to do is open up a camp for kids in Vancouver. He is also a singer and used to sing with a band in Canada that is pretty big there. But he's doing his own thing now when it comes to singing, he doesn't drink (never has) doesn't smoke. Ronnie thinks he's pretty cute too, and asked me if I needed her to stay and I said no, I'm okay. We talked for a bit longer but then the bar was closing and we didn't want the night to end. He suggests going back to the bar at his hotel, because when he left it was still really busy, I said, I bet it's closed now but we'll check it out.

We go back to the hotel but alas the bar was closed, at this point I really had to go to pee pee and went to the bathroom in the hotel lobby. When I got out of the bathroom Joel wasn't there, I figured he went to the bathroom too, but then I heard, "I'm over here."

I turn and see him sitting at a piano in the corner down the hall a bit. He starts to play the piano and I sit next to him on the bench and he stars to sing, and what a beautiful voice he has. I swear to you, I felt like I was in a movie and I was Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman (ok not a hooker but the scene where Richard Gere plays the piano). I also kept saying to myself, "what if we get in trouble or is this a joke am I getting punked?" Because I am not used to this kind of romance and it was romantic. It really did feel like i was in a movie. I have never in my life been serenaded by anyone especially not by someone as talented as him.

He finishes the song and I was just in awe. I'm thinking to myself, can this really be happening, damn why does he have to live so far away.

We walk around a bit and he suggests that we go back up to his room so I can hear some of his music, (get your mind out of the gutter nothing happened). We go up to his room and we talk and laugh and listen to music, and then we kiss. Oh what a kiss that was, it was great, it has been so long since I've been kissed like that. We kiss and kiss and kiss, we talk and cuddle. But nothing else, my pants stayed on thank you very much. Trust me a part of me wanted to take them off, but I don't know this guy and I'm not like that.

I told him at one point, you could have a wife and kids back home and I'd have no clue. We laughed, he said he didn't but honestly for one night I didn't care. It started to get really late and the poor guy needed to leave for the airport around 4am and I felt bad that he probably wouldn't get much sleep. I told him I really should get going and that I really enjoyed my night with him. He also told me that he wished he could have stayed longer but that he had a meeting back in Vancouver (I had suggested that he change his flight), but he said that he would be back in about a month. But before I left I said, I have to get a picture of you, and he obliged (isn't he just a cutie?). I had to get a picture because I didn't think anyone would believe me and I wasn't sure if what had happened was even real. I kept thinking I'm going to wake up and this was all a dream.

I left and we text messaged for awhile longer and he said that he wants to stay longer next time and he wrote his email address, and "I really loved every minute I got with you:)" I am still all smiles.

You know if I never see him again I would be okay with that, for one night i felt like a princess and I needed that. I really did.

4 Comments:

OhTheJoys said...

How FUN! I am living vicariously through you. It has been a long time. I'm an old married person. (Happily married, but still - the romance!)

Peg said...

Ditto! What a great story! It's so nice to know that these things can really happen. He is adorable, BTW.

I remember stopping by here before and left a comment regarding your trip with your mother to Mystic.

I worked 29 yrs for a Natural Gas Co. Leak Detection Inspector, customer service, appliance repair. Technically, for most of the time I was a "Pipe Fitter" or Fitter Leader. I just took an early retirement on May 1st.

I'm still trying to wind down from years of what I consider traumatic experiences. I always loved my job but I'm glad it's over.

Congratulations on being nominated for best blog! I tried to vote but couldn't. I will try again tomorrow.
Best Regards!

tiffany said...

i haven't had one of those nights in a while...i guess you give up that kind of fun when you have a long-term boyfriend. but, i remember what it was like...to be all smiles like that.
giddy.
it's the best.

Knitizen K said...

I loved your story--so romantic! And btw, he is VERY adorable. Keep us posted.