Monday, June 18, 2007

Father's Day



As I have said before my father and I have an up, down relationship. We are trying to really work on keeping our relationship on the up side right now. So much has happened that we realize it is important to be united rather than apart.

My father went to Greece for a couple of weeks and while he was there he was in a pretty severe car accident, luckily he is okay the car and his pride are damaged but he is safe and unharmed. As we were sitting for lunch yesterday to celebrate Father's Day he is telling us kids what happened with the car accident. In our family we never seem to get any details when things happen, usually I am the last to know about anything that happens good or bad.

As he is telling us this story everyone talks and jokes and it was sort of bugging me because I'm trying to really listen and understand what happened. As he tells us what happened, I realized how close we came to losing him. He was on a mountain/hill road that had a cliff on one side and if my father had not been as good of a driver and quick thinking as he is he might not have rolled and landed in that ditch but rolled and fell off that cliff.

Sometimes it takes something like this (or the death of my grandfather) to really understand that we do not have that much time in this life and that the small petty stuff needs to be forgiven. I am really trying to understand who my father is and I think (I hope) he is trying to understand me. I love my father very much and don't like it when we don't talk for long periods of time. We are a very emotional family, whether that be in love, in anger, in sadness or in happiness we express it. So when we fight we FIGHT!! We are also STUBBORN, oh you can't imagine how stubborn our family is. But one thing that we do, is tell each other I LOVE YOU every time we talk, I think it is an important statement to tell each other. When I get off the phone with my mother, father, sister or brothers and friends I tell them, I love you or I miss you or how much they mean to me because that might be the last time you speak to that person.

Now for a little less serious topic, the rest of the lunch and Father's Day was good. We went to Bertucci's for lunch and as the waitress came up to take our drink order I whispered to her, "I'm sorry." She asks, "why???" I said, "You'll see."

Though we are polite and I think we tip well, we can also be loud and a pain in the butt. When you get 7 Greeks in one table watch out, it can be dangerous.

We talked, we laughed, we ate, we drank, the food was excellent the company was entertaining and overall it was a good meal.

We went back to my father's house and relaxed, Zoe had to go to work and the boys went upstairs to play on the computer or to talk to friends. My father and I talked, and there is an opportunity that my father might have that I might be very very interested in. I don't want to talk about it just yet (oh and it is killing me not to tell you all what it is) but I want to see what comes out of this before I start mentioning it. But I will tell you this, if this opportunity is real and serious I am definitely onboard.

I hope all the fathers out there had a wonderful day. You deserve it!

Happy Father's Day




1 Comment:

OhTheJoys said...

Happy Father's Day to yours!

(p.s. - your blog page opened and blew my ear drum with the Miami beat pumpin' and a-thumpin'!)