Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: 13 Things I'd Like to Accomplish

Today's TT comes from me thinking about my wishes and accomplishments I'd like to try to finish soon. Some I have started and some I haven't but would like to, so I figured the best way to get going on these is to post them so they are out there.

1) Learn to play guitar and master two songs, Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns-n-Roses and Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi.

I know showing my age here, but those two songs have great guitar intros and guitar solos and I have always wanted to learn how to play them.




2) Take a singing lesson to find out if it is completely hopeless.

I so am NOT the next American Idol and do not have any desire to be, but I love to sing the only problem is I do not do it very well. The only place I sing is my car, wouldn't want to hurt any one's ear. But they say with the proper training you can learn to carry a tune, and that is all I'm asking. But if I had a wish it would be sing like no other.


3) Travel the world

I want to see the 13 places I mentioned in a previous Thursday Thirteen and I want to explore places that I find off the beaten path. My dream is to take a year off and travel, to see exotic places, to find small nooks and to learn about each places culture. Oh to be able to do that would be a dream come true.

4) Volunteer with children, teens and young adults fighting cancer.

This one is near and dear to my heart and also something I have to start IMMEDIATELY. I have a friend that knows someone that runs the volunteer services at Children's Hospital she has contacted this person to see if there is anything I can do. I just want to be able to let them forget for a moment that they are fighting cancer, or be there for support. I know what it is like to battle this horrible disease and I want to be there for others.

5) Move out of my mother's place by 2008

This one is a little embarrassing to even mention. See, I have been out of my mom's house since I was 18 years old (at 19 I lived one year at my father's) and to be back at my mother's at 32 is really hard for me. It's a pride thing rather then a "I can't live with my mom". I love my mom and overall we have been doing pretty well living together considering it has been about 14 years since the last time we shared a home. Unfortunately I got my self into debt while living in FL, though I work 2 jobs and am taking care of it, it is not feasible for me to move out right now. I love my mom and she has been so understanding (I do pay her rent), I just miss having my own place.

6) Have all of my debt paid off by the time I turn 35.

As mentioned above I um well, got into some debt while living in FL. I'm not going to get into how or why, but nevertheless it SUCKS!!! I am working 2 jobs to get myself out of it and have taken the appropriate measures. So my goal is to have it all paid off by the time I turn 35, and NEVER EVER allow myself to get into that situation again. I tell you if it wasn't for friends and family to help out, not financially but just by being there and letting me know I'm not a complete LOSER is something I can never repay I don't know what I would have done without them. THANK YOU, you know who you are.

7) Live a year outside this country.

I have always dreamt about living abroad, I love other cultures and how people live. If I found a job that allowed me to live a year or two in some other country I would jump at that chance. To learn a new language, a new country, a new way of life, how exciting would that be. I think I can still do it, and who knows if I really like it there I might never come back.


8) Run or own an inn or hotel in a tropical location.

Not too long ago, my father told me about a possible business venture that he had come across, it was to run a hotel on the island of Corfu near the beach. I have always wanted to run/own a B&B or a small hotel/resort (nothing fancy) near the beach. You know the kind of place that you can rent out a room w/kitchen for days/weeks/months at a time. I know it is hard work, but that is my ultimate dream. My father and I almost had the opportunity to, but as things go it didn't work out the way we wanted. This doesn't mean I've given up on my dream I believe that someday it will happen.

9) Lose 40 more pounds.

I have lost 20lbs so far, though I am happy with that, and feel better about myself, I want to lose an additional 40lbs. I think I can do it if I try hard(er). I really hate to exercise I find it really really BORING!!! I am also self conscious at the gym (and you thought I had confidence HA HA that's all a facade). I enjoy going to Weight Watchers, the team leader Ann is great, the people at the meetings can relate, and it is something my mom and I do together. BTW my mom looks FANTASTIC, she is getting so skinny I'm very proud of her. GO MOM!!

10) Overcome my fear of public speaking.

I have this huge fear of speaking in front of people, I can be the center of attention in small groups in fun places. I can hold a conversation with many people listening to me in intimate settings, but I CANNOT get up in front of a group of people and make a speech or presentation. NOPE no way, I start to stutter (and I don't stutter), I get all nervous then I turn BRIGHT RED!! I lose my place and train of thought. It is such a sad sight. If I feel comfortable with the people I'm better but still one little thing and I turn RED. I hate this, my mom is amazing she can get up in front of a huge group of strangers and just start talking. I wish I got that from her.

11) I want to zip line, sky dive, and bungee jump.

I know you are thinking I'm crazy, but I am also an adrenaline junkie, I love roller coasters and I love going fast. I guess that is why I have a lead foot while driving. I just think all those things would be so exciting. I want to zip line through Hawaii and South America of course getting up those trees/platforms will be interesting. I want to sky dive while looking at the beautiful landscape. I want to bungee jump off of a bridge into the water. I know it will be scary but at the same time exhilarating. Just thinking about it makes my adrenaline run.

12) Learn another language

I already know how to speak Greek but I don't know how to read and write it, I would like to become completely fluent in this language. But that is not the only language I want to learn. I want to learn Spanish and either Chinese or Japanese. I love different languages and especially love accents. If I meet someone with an accent I try to guess where they are from. Some times I'm correct and other times I'm way off. But I always ask, "Where are you from?"

13) Live life to the fullest and not sweat the small stuff.

Last and most important I want to live life to the absolute fullest. I need to learn how to stop over thinking and worrying about all the small stuff. I need to remember that every day is a precious one and that I can't dwell on the past. I will end this with a quote that I've heard for many years and believe, but have no idea who said it first.

Live for today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come.



15 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Private voice teacher here - sorry I'm not closer to give you some lessons! You can keep the bungee jumping, though!

Happy TT!

Lori said...

They sound like awesome goals...good luck:)

Peg said...

I love this idea, too! Although 13 is alot. Hey! Sign me up to be your guitar teacher! I'm not that good but I found that I can learn a very difficult piece (on the piano too) if I only learn it one note at a time! effing brilliant!

Peg

Anonymous said...

#2 is hopeless for me and its too late for #6.
I'm all for #3,7,10 & 13.

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

Your list looks eerily like mine.

Happy TT!

N.J.Walters said...

Congrats on losing the 20 lbs! That's not easy.

You have a lot of wonderful things on your list and I hope you get the opportunity to do them all. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love to sing too! Debt sucks hey? It haunts me daily. Your music just about sent me flying off my chair. My speakers were up loud.

Anonymous said...

Awesome list. Thanks for stopping by mine!

Sonja Foust said...

Sounds like you need to join 43things! (http://www.43things.com) Way fun list. :)

aislynn rodeghiero said...

fantastic list.
you're well on your way, girl.
let's walk deer island again...that way we can both shed a few pounds!

Anonymous said...

What a great list! They are all very attainable goals. I can see you accomplishing every one of them.

Susan Bischoff said...

Great list! I've got a lot of anxiety issues related to people, shyness, what have you. But public speaking? Not such a problem anymore. I took a speech class in college that helped me get started. I think it was because I had to get up week after week and just do it. And didn't die. It was a fairly safe atmosphere but still people I didn't actually know and mostly didn't see outside class. It really worked for me. Definitely one of those things that I think is terrifying when you first throw yourself into it, but the terror wears off.

Holly said...

I've been bungee jumping and done the zip line. Both were amazing and terrifying all at once. I'm an adrenaline junky, too.

But there's no way you'll get me to jump out of a plane.

Happy TT.

Anonymous said...

Very realistic list. I hope you can do it!

Yoshi said...

Yeah, i'd like to master those songs too. :)

and there's nothing wrong with living with your mom. honestly. If I could get away with it, I would do it. :P