Monday, August 13, 2007

"I'm just a sweet transvestite, from transexual transalvania"

You think that title will get me some weird comments? For anyone under 30 that title probably doesn't make any sense but for most of us older then 30 we know what it means. So for those of you that do not know (I swear I'm not having a sex change or referring to anything kinky) let me explain. It is a title to a song from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's a movie that I have seen many times when I was younger and have had some great times watching this film.

When Melissa and I were in high school the one thing our parents didn't mind us doing was going to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show (RHPS). It played on Friday and Saturday nights at midnight at this run down little theatre on Mill Ave in Mesa, AZ (near ASU). We would go with our friend Jennifer and anyone else that could fit into her car.

It was the one time that our parents would allow for us to stay out past midnight, I'm surprised Melissa's mom let her go considering what the RHPS is all about. But then again I don't think Melissa actually told her it was about a transvestite from out of space building a man named Rocky.

I know sounds weird but you actually didn't go to watch the movie you went to experience the movie. For those that do not know, the movie itself is rather well stupid, but when you have audience participation and actors, acting out the parts infront of the screen it is a completely different adventure.

I actually had a couple of friends that acted in it as well, (not the movie but the people acting it out up front). They actually kept trying to get me to do it and even though I'm not shy and have no problem with being wild and crazy, I have severe stage fright and also have a huge fear of speaking in front of people. So I just went and had a good time as an audience member.

They have this ritual for all newbies (or virgins as they call them). All the "virgins" have to stand up and some are called up to the front and they are initiated, our friend Vince had to marry this girl (who by the way was so not Vince's type but he played along) but when he went to sit back down his chair broke (remember I said it was an old run down theatre). Me, well I had to unzip a guys pants with my teeth only (which I did with no pause). Then there was the time that Melissa, myself and someone else were in a contest to see who faked the best orgasm, and lets just say it wasn't me or the other girl hmmm Melissa.

Now all this is happening before the movie even starts, then they do a call of the people who have seen it more then once. Everyone stands up and as they ask whose been here more then 10 times, all the people who have stay standing, then they say 20 times and then 50 and so on. I remember when I finally was able to stay standing when they said more then 20 times. It was a proud moment for me, hey I was 16 what else was I going to do every weekend. My friend Jenn she was able to stand until they said more then a 100 times. We were true Rocky fans and loved every minute of it.

I love the fact that when Brad and Janet introduce themselves you say Asshole after Brad's name and SLUT after Janet's I also love that Janet is played by Susan Sarandon, Brad is played by Barry Bostwick, and Dr. Frank-N-Furter is played by Tim Curry. All of these actors you know and love and to see them in such a cult classic is awesome.

I love that you participate, that you say things out loud that are happening in the movie. More examples are, when Brad and Janet get a flat tire and Brad is about to kick it, you say "KICK IT!" or when they are walking in the rain and they use a newspaper to protect them from the rain you also put a newspaper over your head.

The reason I bring this up is other day I was talking with Aislynn and mentioned the RHPS and her being under 30 she had no clue as to what I was talking about. So of course I had to Google RHPS and found all these great sites and clips from You Tube. I showed her the above titled song. Which you can watch below.



Of course then I had to show her the Time Warp, my favorite song in the whole movie. When this song comes on everyone in the audience gets up sings and dances right along with the movie. You know I showed her, I was pleasantly surprised to see that not only did I remember the words but I remembered the steps and sayings. Here is a clip of the Time Warp for you to enjoy.



So I got to thinking I wonder if there is any place around here that still plays it and guess what I found a location that plays it every Saturday night at midnight. So of course I have been calling everyone I know and am trying to get a group of us to go. I cannot wait, I feel 16 again. This should be an interesting night.


2 Comments:

Misa Gracie said...

Mesa?!? It's TEMPE!! And sometimes MetroCenter in Glendale.. ah, those were good times.

Twinkies were just never the same...

Lisa said...

YOu know... I have a friend that lived in Mesa AZ years ago. That would be so wierd if at some point you two would have been rows away from each other in the theater...