Tuesday, March 6, 2007

My Papou

Sorry I haven't written in awhile, it has been a rough couple of days. You see I received some bad news on Saturday night from my father whom I haven't spoken to in 8 months. I was at work (the restuarant) and missed a call from him, and the minute I saw that missed call I knew, I knew why he was calling. My Papou (grandfather) had passed away.

I had spoken to my papou just two weeks before and actually on Saturday morning I had woken up and said, "Oh I need to call him it's been a couple of weeks, I'll call him tomorrow." Because I normally call him on Sundays, and I knew I had to get ready for work I didn't call him right then and there, and now I regret that. But I can't let that eat me away, because I had been calling him a lot more often. Trying to be a better granddaughter and letting him know how much I loved and missed him.

When I had talked to him a couple of weeks ago, I knew he wasn't doing so well, he told me that he was tired, and pretty much couldn't get out of bed. I told him he had to try to get out of bed, even if it was only to go into the kitchen to eat. He wanted to see me and I wanted to see him, but he lives in Greece and I just didn't know when I was going to be able to go see him, and now I feel like I could've found a way. Would've Should've Could've, I feel sad, guilty and lost. He and I had a special bond, as did my Yaya (grandmother) and I, she passed away 2 years ago from Uteran Cancer. We always joked that the reason my Papou lasted as long as he did was because my Yaya was keeping him alive so she could have some peace and quiet in heaven to enjoy her afterlife. I guess she finally said, okay I've had enough fun, you can come be with me now. Though he had a big heart and lots of love, he was also a stubborn, know it all Greek man. But you had to love him for his convictions even if they were WAY off.

The weird part of all this is that we've had a woman who lived with my Papou to help take care of him for quite awhile now. I guess on Saturday night when she went to sleep she had a dream that my Papou blew her a kiss goodbye and left. She woke from the dream went to check on him and he was gone. Talk about do do dee dee (insert Twilight Zone music). I'm glad though that someone was there, so he wasn't alone, one thing about the Greeks you are never alone. Not only does the family rally around you, but the neighbors as well. He had a long life and was loved. I will miss you greatly Papou. But I know that you, Yaya and my Vaari (grandfather in Finnish) are watching over me and making sure that I am okay.

Note to reader: I will be posting a memorial for the three grandparents that I have lost and would like to share this with you. Please come back to see what I've written and some pictures I will post of them.

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, I'm sorry to hear that. Keep your chin up and let me know if you need anything. Look forward to your trip to FL, I know I am , wink wink

Misa Gracie said...

Losing a close family member - be they parent, grandparent or sibling - is hard for anyone. You've handled this admirably well - considering how far away you are and the tension with your dad. Keep their love and memories in your heart and they will always be with you.

Love you girl!

OhTheJoys said...

Tikanis!

Thanks for your visit.

I'm so sorry to hear about your papou. My own grandfather just passed away a few weeks ago so I know how you are feeling.

Best,
OTJ

Melina said...

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your thoughts and comments. Today is a good day because I wrote about him and you know it helped, it helped to get it out there, so everyone could know how much I loved him and how much he is missed. Thank you for caring, I never realized how much this blog could help me as much as I have been having fun with it, it's nice to know that there are people out there that care. I promise to get pictures up so you can all see who I'm talking about, and for the other two grandparents that I have lost who meant so much to me as well.

Girlie Monkey said...

Melina, i am so sorry for your loss. I haven't been by in a few days. Just read your post...

Anonymous said...

{{{ hugs }}}