Monday, April 23, 2007

The Memorial

Yesterday was my Papou's memorial. In the Greek culture you do 40 days of mourning and then you have a memorial. It was held at the Greek Orthodox church near my fathers house. It was a beautiful day yesterday, high 70s, close to 80 even. I was so happy we had it this past weekend instead of the weekend before when we had the Spring Nor'easter.



It just felt right, yesterday, I don't know, maybe it was just that I had longed for the sun for so long that I felt its beauty yesterday, or maybe it was just that I felt that my yaya and papou were watching us yesterday, together looking down and smiling on us.

Melissa came with me, which was really nice. We dressed in our Sunday best I actually wore a skirt and I have to say I bought the skirt last summer and it was a little big (woo hoo). Anyway, we get to my fathers house around 10:30 am, my siblings are already there, and my (ex) step mother is there (outside). My father and his girlfriend Katarina came out and we all walked to the church. We get to the church and it is the final part of the Sunday service. We go inside (when they tell us it is okay to go)and we sit in our pews (well actually we stand, Greek Orthodox stand for EVERYTHING and for long periods of time).

Melissa and I sit/stand and listen to the service, half of it is in Greek and half in English, the Greek Papa (priest) was talking about how our country is in such a rough place right now and how we need to remember to love one another during these hard times. It was a nice service I haven't been to church in years and usually its for a wedding if I go. We are listening to the service and I lean over to Melissa and say "is it sacrilegious to think the Papa is kind of cute?" Melissa looks at me, and goes, "you are so going to Hell". Well he was.

The Greek Papa's can marry as long as they do it before they are ordained, so they are NOT celibate, it's actually funny the last year of the seminary, they are out looking for wives. Of course, Melissa and I were trying to behave, but I think we are both going to hell after yesterday, we were right next to the windows and we were just waiting for the bolt of lightening to come right through. It was all in fun and we were respectful. They finish the service and begin the memorial, it wasn't just for us, there were a few other people that were being remembered, this part was pretty much in Greek, I lean again to Melissa and ask "is this the memorial?" She looks at me like I have 2 heads, "um, hello in Greek I don't know." "Oh yeah, sorry wrong person to ask Dee dee dee."

They finish the memorial and it was a beautiful prayer and service. we all leave and go back to my fathers house, my (ex) step mother doesn't go to the house, we were laughing because my mother would've come as well, but she had to work. So I said to my father, wow you would've had all your ladies with you. When introducing them he would've said, "This is my first ex-wife, this is my second ex-wife and this is my future ex-wife" We laughed and I would've paid money to see him with all three (what a picture that would've been).

All in all I have to say it was a perfect day. I hope my Papou, and my Yaya are at peace and happy wherever they are. I know they are watching us and making sure that we are okay. I miss you Yaya & Papou, I want you to know that I am doing really well and I am really happy. Thank you for all you have given me throughout my life. I will hold those memories and knowledge with me for a life time. If I ever have children (or when I become an aunt) I will teach them what you taught me. Thank you for coming from Greece when I was sick and helping to take care of me. I wish I could've done more when you were sick. I love you so much.

2 Comments:

OhTheJoys said...

I know you will miss your Papou!
Best,
OTJ

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear the bad news.