Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: 13 Controversial, Banned or Outrageous Videos

This weeks TT comes to you because I just hate the fact that MTV doesn't play videos anymore, I used to as a kid watch (and tape) music videos for hours and hours. I loved to watch music videos that were by my favorite bands like Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, G-n-R, NKOTB (I know that one so doesn't fit) and so many others. Now to watch any video you either have to go onto Yahoo Launchcast video (which is great) but they don't have all of them, or if you are lucky go onto You tube before it is taken down. Sometimes you can see the video right on the musicians website. Sometimes you have to search the web and look around. So I decided this weeks TT would be 13 outrageous, banned and/or controversial music videos that some of you may know about and some of you might not.

WARNING: Some of these videos might be a bit more graphic then you are used to, and NSFW so watch at your own risk, many of these are uncensored.



1) Madonna - What it feels like to for a girl



2) Nine Inch Nails - Closer



3) Robbie Williams - Come Undone



4) Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up



5) Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams



6) MSTRKRFT - Easy Love



7) Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box



8) Pearl Jam - Jeremy



9) Metallica - One



10) Madonna - Justify My Love



11) George Michael - I Want Your Sex



12) Robbie Williams - Rock DJ



13) Eminem - Stan




Some of these you might not think are very controversial for this day and age, but when they came out they were quite outrageous for the times. I'm sure there are many many more that I haven't listed, let me know which ones you think should be on the list as well.



15 Comments:

Melanie said...

Good video choices. I too used to record hours of MTV videos, now it is just semi-reality TV. Although I am out of that MTV age now anyway LOL. Happy T13

Happy Mama to Three said...

Here I thought I was the only one who absolutely detests that MTV is now a talk t.v. station and not the music videos all the time station it was born to be. How many hours I spent staring at the new innovation of music coming alive. I guess we are just getting old. Our children have no idea that MTV was meant as a window into what the artist pictures their song as. It's a sad commentary.

And I am a sap. Can't tell I am creeping up on 40 can you?

Cindi

Secret Agent Mama said...

I grew up "cable retarded". My parents didn't get cable TV until after I got married. When I moved in with my husband I was an MTV junkie. If I was watching TV, you knew that it was on MTV. Aaaahhhhh-dicted!

Now MTV has just sold out and they'd probably have more viewers if they would just do what they are supposed to do and play videos!

I love your TT (great, great picks!) and your blog. Can I link you to mine?

el-e-e said...

Ah, George Michael. I saw him on his "I want your sex" tour. I think I was 13. Scandalous!

Amelia June said...

Aw, I just love me some George Michael :)

Great picks!

Penny said...

What does it say about me that I know and like most of those songs? LOL!!

Interesting list! Thanks for stopping by my TT!

By the way, the Marilyn Manson version of Sweet Dreams sounds creepy!! I heard in on a local radio station the other day and got the goose bumps. NOT good ones...lol!

Unknown said...

Great list
Happy T13!

Amy said...

Recently, I've become a fan of Paolo Nutini. His original video for Last Request - which depicted a couple that breaks into a jewelry store, I think and tries to steal diamonds... they are caught and I believe the girl is shot and he reaches out to her (or vice versa) - was not allowed to be shown... getting shot while committing a crime is too upsetting I guess for MTV now... we don't want young people getting traumatized by notions of "consequences".. that's just TOO disturbing.

We were just talking yesterday about MTV needing to change their name... they certainly are NOT Music Television... These artists pay BIG money for videos that no one gets to see. That'd tick me off.

George Michael - yeah... I remember when... when he was hot and women everywhere thought there was a chance - however slight - that it was a possibility... and now he'd rather date my brother. It was devastating for me!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I remember a lot of those!

And you know the REAL reason why the Metallica video was banned? 'Cause James looked too good and put the other metalheads to shame. It had nothing to do with the song's subject material. *wink*

Still, it was a hell of a first video!

Marilyn said...

I remember some of these.

Anonymous said...

It is a total shame MTV doesn't play much music anymore. I remember some of these videos. Great TT!

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

I miss the videos too--thanks for the flashback!!

Angela said...

I hadn't seen that first Madonna video, it was cool! I used to be an MTV addict back in 1989... Thanks for sharing and visiting.

Melina said...

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for commenting on these, I was actually a little worried about putting these videos up because some of them are REALLY graphic I dont get offended easily and think that most of them are awesome videos but I know some might think otherwise. Not that I really care but some people can just be nasty.

Mishelle, yes you can link me no worries.

The reason I did this post was exactly what most of you said, that you remember back when MTV was actually MUSIC TELEVISION, now its REALITY TELEVISION (dont they already have a reality network).

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for dropping by my TT yesterday. Sorry I'm late making rounds today.

You've got some awesome videos there. Jeremy is one of my favorites.