Monday, September 10, 2007

I have a question for all the parents out there

I have a question, being that I am not a parent myself so I guess I don't really know how most parents would react to a situation that could possibly happen to you. I know how I would react but again since I don't have children of my own if I did maybe it would be different.

Here is the hypothetical situation.

You go to a restaurant with your family which includes a child around the age of 8-10 years old. The child orders a "VIRGIN" daiquiri and the bartender accidentally makes it with alcohol. The server does not realize this because she/he obviously does not taste it before serving to your child. The child takes a few sips and says, "Mom this tastes funny." So you try it yourself and you realize that there is alcohol in it. What do you do?

I am curious to see what some parents would do in a situation like this?

a) would you freak out on the server and bartender threatening police action and lawsuits.

b) would you calmly say, excuse me I think this was made with alcohol

c) laugh and tell the server I'll have this one could you make the next one w/o the booze for my kid, wouldn't want her to start drinking before 5pm.

d) tell the server what happened, server takes drink away, apologizes and asks if there is anything she/he can do, you say nothing much wait until the food comes and then state that you have lost your appetite and can't possibly eat.

You don't have to pick one of these, you can tell me what you would do if none of these apply, I am interested in what the response would be. I know that I would probably laugh and just say ooops, could you make this w/o the booze.

In a related story, when my brother Yianni was about 3-4 years old, we had a barbecue at my father's house, probably for Greek Easter which is a huge deal in the Greek community (ever seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding yeah that's us). Anyway, there was a glass with straight vodka sitting on the counter that someone was drinking. Yianni thought it was water, needless to say, he took a huge gulp. Gasped for air for a second (since it was straight booze it burnt while going down). We yelled, No Yianni that's not water, we get him to drink water and eat something, but realize whatever is done is done. He never slept as well as he did that night. We laugh about it still to this day saying you always did like the hard stuff. So I guess being that alcohol was never TABOO in my family (and no we are not drunks) it never fazed me, I never drank in high school not like my friends who would get drunk just to get drunk because mom and dad said no. My mom and dad said if I wanted a glass of wine or a beer it wasn't a big deal. So what are your opinions on this, I am opened to all, good, bad, critical, funny, whatever, just trying to get some parents perspective. Let me know in the comments or email me directly.

11 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's a big deal. I'd pick b) excuse me, I think this was made with alcohol.

Accidents happen. I'm the type of parent that would check the drink, just to be sure it was non-alcoholic.

And I'll have one of those drinks WITH the alcohol at this moment, please! xoxo

Meg said...

haha. that happened to me when i was 13. we were on a cruise to mexico with my mom's job and i order the drink of the day without alcohol. obviously someone got mixed up and i never knew the difference until a friend tried it and realized it had booze in it. i refused to beleive it, as i couldnt taste it, and continued to drink it. i got more than half way done before my mom checked and had it sent off. it was quite commical for us all and we still laugh about it now. :o) accidents do happen, people need to not be so uptight all the time.

Anonymous said...

I would be royally pissed off and talk to the manager. I don't expect the server to know what went into the drinks and I would expect the manager to deal with the bartender.

That said, I would have tasted it first to begin with!

Secret Agent Mama said...

I'd let him drink it.

Wha???

Just kidding. Well 1/2 kidding. I'd probably drink it, tell the bartender he made a tiny boo-boo and get the kiddie another.

But, I grew up being allowed to drink a little alcohol, here and there.

Amie Adams said...

I would have laughed, told the waiter, kept it for myself and gotten another.

Mistakes happen.

Hi there!! Miss you!!

Sunshine said...

I would have to go with choice B. Then I'd throw back the alcoholic one myself and enjoy!

1UP RPG said...

I would laugh it off and ask for a "do-over." I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, but I would hope to at least have free drinks out of the deal.

But I have to say that I think the majority of folks would freak out and make an enormous deal out of it. But I think people tend to do that about anything, not just alcohol.

Thank for visiting my blog today!

Bob

Every, Every Minute

Melina said...

Thanks everyone for answering this question. It is interesting to see the different perspectives. I appreciate all of them.

Anonymous said...

I pick B unless the kids have driven me crazy all day then it's definitely C.

penile prosthesis said...

Thanks for sharing that. It was fun reading it. :-)

Urology Surgery in India said...

Thank you, that was just an awesome post!!!.....