Friday, July 20, 2007

Sand Castles & BBQ

On Sunday my mom and I went to Revere Beach to look at the annual Sand Castle competition they have, we tried to get there as early as possible and it was a good thing, because the beach was already packed.

The detail that go into the sand castles just astonishes me, it is true art and quite beautiful.

Here are few pictures but if you want to see all of them go here.



After checking out all the amazing sand castles we head home and I relax for a bit and then go to my father's house for a BBQ to celebrate Katerina's birthday. My dad had a seafood medley of tuna steak, crab legs, scallops wrapped in bacon, sushi, roasted veggies, there was so much food and lots of people. It was a great time. I got to see a few people I haven't seen in YEARS!! Like John Manjoe, what a great guy he is. My family has known him for at least 20 years, and I probably haven't seen him in at least 10. He is a flower designer that has worked for and with my father (and ex stepmother Jayne) on and off for the last 2 decades. Well he is back helping out my father a couple of days a week, and he is really trying to help to expand my fathers shop. There has been talk about renting the space next door and making that part into a gift shop, that sells high end gifts, from cigars, wine and if I can my friend Jennifer's baby cakes.

Jennifer has this great little business she is starting called Hit of the Party Gifts and she makes these amazing baby cakes and wreathes and other products so you are the hit of the party. Most of her products are catered to babies, pregnant women and new moms. But she can also make any gift basket that you want. Here is her website and here are some pictures of her products. I will be writing a full post about her and profiling her business, but I figured I'd slip this in so you can check her out.

Back to John and the BBQ, so John and his partner Joseph (whom I had never met before but absolutely adore now) came to the BBQ and we just talked and talked, it was so nice to see him and to catch up on all that is going on. They live in Hull and invited me to come down one weekend, and you know I think I will take them up on that when I get back from Chicago.

It was a great day, with great food and great company, I'm so glad that my father and I are really getting along and that so far everything has been going well (Knock on Wood!!!). He and I are trying to communicate better, I'm trying not to be so sensitive and he's trying not to be insensitive. It's a good combination.

2 Comments:

Cairde said...

That's so great about you and your Dad. Sometimes I wish I had a relationship with mine. The food sounded amazing at the party...your family knows how to party :)

I am totally going to recommend your friend's website. Those gifts are adorable and it seems people are coming up pregnant all over town.

OhTheJoys said...

Wow. What a cool competition!

(See you soon!)