Friday, October 12, 2007

Girl Seeking Wealthy Man

If you are ever in wonder about the authenticity of an email you got the best place to go is Snopes.com this website basically tells you whether there is a family of alligators in the sewers of New York (false) or whether that Amber Alert is real (some are some aren't), they are really good at breaking down whatever it is you are looking for. I especially hate it when people just forward those emails that say, if you forward this to 10 people Bill Gates will send you a check for $10,000.00, or if you send this to 100 people that little boy in that remote island off that unknown coast will finally get the medical attention he needs for that rare disease none of can pronounce, snopes.com will tell you what is true and what is not. I get a new urban legend each day to read about, some are weird, some are sad and some are really funny, take this one I read today.

This one is from an ad on Craig's List in the New York region, basically this "attractive" 25 year old girl wants to know why she can't find a guy that makes at least 500k a year, and I quote...

What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I'm tired of beating around the bush. I'm a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I'm articulate, classy. I'm not from New York. I'm looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don't think I'm over reaching at all.

She goes on further to say exactly what she is looking for, now I am someone that doesn't take these sort of things too seriously but it did irk me a bit I also couldn't help but laugh at her ad because who is she to say she is beautiful, classy and articulate, right now none of those seem even remotely close but I digress. What really makes me laugh is the response she gets from a man who fits her qualifications.

He basically says that her proposition is a lousy business deal because all she has to offer is her looks and that over time her looks will probably fade where as his money will probably grow he goes on to say and I quote...

So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you!

So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold... hence the rub... marriage. It doesn't make good business sense to "by you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease.

He too goes on further and it makes me think what was this girl expecting, someone say, oh you are so beautiful marry me? COME ON SERIOUSLY??

But what I think is the funniest part about this whole ad is what snopes.com found out. it seems that the ad actually could have been real, they have the status as undetermined meaning they could not find conclusively that it is true or false but gives you what they did find. They even say that...

The Craigslist ad (which was posted to its New York boards) may have been on the up and up: in an 8 October 2007 New York Times article, a spokesperson for the online community said, "it does look as if the post was made sincerely." The anonymous poster has since removed her solicitation from Craigslist.

Snopes.com goes on to say that gals seeking sugar daddies is not new, we all know this but what I didn't know (and here is why I had to write about this) is that there are two (yes count them 2) websites that are specifically catered to those looking for a rich man or woman to take care of them. Those two websites are Seeking Millionaire and Seeking Arrangements, this is where I just lost it, I was laughing uncontrollably in my little cube (to which my co-workers are now wondering what was in my morning drink). You know I went on these two websites to see what it was all about and no I did not sign up for it. Where was this website 10 years ago when I was 22 and so could have used a sugar daddy (I kid I kid I've always been too independent for that). You just have to go on and check them out, I never realized how many handsome rich men there were out there who so just wanted a young girl to spend their money. Damn I missed my calling I so could spend their money, oh well next life.

Here is the link for the full story on this ad Fool's Gold Digger (ENJOY)

5 Comments:

Cairde said...

LOL, I am at a loss for words. Thanks for the laugh!!

Anonymous said...

Now I know why I have never stayed in NY for more than a week. I love the city, I love Broadway, but I am not 25 any more….
- Gosia

Vineet Rajan said...

:-) the website u suggested is really nice...wow!
gotta share

vinni
http://lifein360.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Where can I find me one of those men? J/k...I have the most wonderful redneck man in the world and I wouldn't trade him for anyone!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted this. My hubby was telling me about it the other night but he couldn't find it again.

I have a girlfriend that had this very mindset. She's beautiful but that must not have been enough because she's the only one in our group who has yet to get married. Maybe if she had looked for love rather than money should would have been successful. It's very sad because she desperately wants to be married and have kids but the clock is ticking faster amd faster.